"Don't let your kids watch it!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Gun violence, blood, and strong language.
Arthur Fleck, later known as the Joker, is the titular protagonist villain and the main antagonist of the 2019 psychological comic book thriller-film of the same name which is intended as the first installment of the newly launched DC Black film series. A mentally unstable failed comedian who followed his great lack of success and respect, Fleck loses his sanity until he becomes a nihilistic and psychotic criminal known as the "Joker" aiming himself to create an anarchist mutiny against the rich population of Gotham City and make Gotham smile in his way.
Why He Rocks
- He is one of the most well-designed protagonist villains, besides Louis Bloom and Jordan Belfort.
- Unlike other incarnations, this incarnation of the Joker is considered the most tragic of all as he's one of the few versions that have a fleshed-out backstory that makes him sympathetic, and he is one of the few incarnations of the Joker to show mercy, as he had shown mercy to Gary because he treated him well.
- Although he first started as a Butt Monkey-type character towards his idol Murray Franklin and Randall, he quickly defies that when he kills his mother, Penny, for the abuse he had gotten over the years and becomes the Joker.
- He only kills people (including the three Gotham Wall Street men) for valid reasons such as not acting nice to him, which proves he is villain from the comics.
- This is easily one of the best incarnations of the Joker, besides the Nolanverse one, being sympathetic and scary at the same time.
- The origin story of a man going from Nobody to Nightmare due to constant mistreatment in a city that is suffering from recession and without help from positive influence holds up very well.
- Unlike the other incarnations of him, he never fell into a vat of chemicals, much like the Nolanverse and Flashpoint versions, was given a name and fleshed-out backstory, following Jack Napier (Batman) and Martha Wayne (the Flashpoint version) and is the second Joker who replaces Joe Chill as the man responsible for the deaths of Thomas and Martha Wayne in the film; the first being the Joker from the 1989 film Batman.
- Quite a lot of memorable moments, such as his stair dance.
- "How about another joke, Mur-ray? What do you get... when you cross... a mentally ill loner with a SOCIETY that ABANDONS HIM AND TREATS HIM LIKE TRASH?! I'll tell you what you get! YOU GET WHAT YOU F**KING DESERVE!!!"
- Joaquin Phoenix received an Oscar/Academy Award for his portrayal of the Joker.