This page is dedicated to Darth Vader's original actor, David Prowse (1935-2020). May the force be with him
Darth Vader (Real name: Anakin Skywalker; born 41 BBY on Tatooine; died 4 ABY on Death Star II, Endor system) is the pivotal antagonist in the original Star Wars trilogy and Angry Birds Star Wars. He is the father of franchise's main protagonist, Luke Skywalker and princess Leia Organa, husband of Padmé Amidala, and the grandfather of First Order leader Kylo Ren/Ben Solo.
He was portrayed by late stunt actor David Prowse and voiced by James Earl Jones in the original trilogy.
- Shmi Skywalker-Lars (mother)
- Owen Lars (brother)
- Beru Whitesun Lars (sister-in-law)
- Padme Amidala Naberrie Skywalker (wife)
- Jobal Naberrie (mother-in-law)
- Ruwee Naberrie (father-in-law)
- Luke Skywalker (son)
- Leia Skywalker Organa Solo (daughter)
- Han Solo (son-in-law)
- Ben Solo (grandson)
- Rey Palpatine/Skywalker (honorary adopted granddaughter)
Why He Is Luke Skywalker's Father And The Chosen One
- He has become one of the most iconic villains in popular culture, and has been listed among the greatest villains and fictional characters ever.
- And even if you're never a fan or unfamiliar with Star Wars, you can still recognize Vader with his design.
- His line, "No, I am your father", (even though it's constantly misquoted as "Luke, I am your father" due to Mandela effect) is one of the most well known quotes in cinema history.
- Besides the scene where he reveals to Luke that he is Anakin Skywalker, he has other cool quotes such as:
- "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force."
- "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
- "A tremor in the force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master."
- "Don't underestimate the force."
- "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. we meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but a learner, now I am the master."
- "The force is strong with this one."
- "We would be honored if you would join us."
- "The force is with you, young Skywalker... but you are not a jedi yet."
- "You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master."
- "You underestimate the power of the dark side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny."
- He was portrayed and voiced very well by both David Prowse and James Earl Jones respectively.
- What's cool is that even though you can't see Anakin's face most of the time (because of the mask), you can still tell how he's feeling because of how good David Prowse's performance is.
- James Earl Jones was an amazing casting choice for the voice of Darth Vader as he sounds very dark and menacing, which fits the character.
- His iconic status has made the character a synonym for evil in popular culture.
- This is quite ironic, though, considering his redemption at the end of Return of the Jedi.
- His design is nice to look at.
- It even changes slightly per movie which is interesting.
- His breathing sound is iconic.
- The scene in Rogue One featuring Darth Vader himself is awesome.
- The part where he attacks and murders several Rebel troops is terrifying.
- He is a very intimidating villain, especially his first appearance in A New Hope.
- He's extremely formidable in lightsaber combat.
- He's one of the most complex and interesting characters in Star Wars.
- He is the true star of the franchise.
- Out of the three protagonists of the Skywalker Saga, he has the most in terms of backstory.
- His chemistry with Luke, especially in Return of the Jedi is very memorable. The scene where Vader has a brief conversation with him before bringing him to Palpatine's throne room is emotional.
- "So, you have accepted the truth."
- "I've accepted the truth that you were one Anakin Skywalker, my father."
- "That name no longer has any meaning for me."
- "It is the name of your true self you've only forgotten. I know there is good in you. The emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That was why you couldn't destroy me. That's why you won't bring me to your emperor now."
- "(lightsaber ignition) I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. (lightsaber deactivation) Indeed you are powerful as the emperor has foreseen."
- "Come with me."
- "Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master."
- "I will not turn and you'll be forced to kill me."
- "If that is your destiny."
- "Search your feelings, Father. You can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate."
- "It is too late for me, Son.The emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now."
- "Then my father is truly dead."
- "(Vader expressing conflict and sadness)"
- His redemption can bring viewers to tears, because he sacrificed himself to save his son from Darth Sidious.
- What's interesting is that Anakin's fear of losing is loved ones was the main reason why he joined the Sith and became the very thing Yoda feared he would become but it was also the reason why he redeemed himself and fulfilled his destiny as the "Chosen One".
- Even if you hated his alter-ego as Anakin Skywalker, you can understand and feel the sense of tragedy that he was going through:
- Anakin was born as a slave along with his mother on Tatooine, until he won the podrace and left his home planet and his mother to train and become a Jedi. Only just to find her tortured and dead when he first meet her again.
- Being the Chosen One, Anakin is said to be the most powerful Jedi in history, but Obi-Wan quite literally holds him back out of jealousy of his potential. This also made Anakin struggle to meet the expectations of the Chosen One.
- He was constantly disrespected and distrusted by the Jedi council, and was never made into a Jedi master, albeit after all the hard work and accomplishments that Anakin has done over the years. They also refused to acknowledge his sacrifices (most notably letting his Padawan be wrongfully kicked out of the order) he endure.
- Knowing him, Anakin would of likely rejected the Dark side if the Council understood emotions.
- Since forming relationships is taboo according to the Jedi council, and Anakin wasn't allowed to form bonds with other people, he disobeyed the order to form a secret marriage with Padmé, and chooses to spend the rest of his life with her. That is until he had his anger get the best of him, which resulted in the death of his wife.
- He had gained strong friendships with Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, and having those bonds can make a person much stronger on the inside.
- His uncontrollable anger and fear and having the will to turn evil, go into madness, and lose everything, was enough to make Darth Sidious manipulate him and turn him to the dark side.
- His decisions of wanting to save his wife from death costed him his love for Padmé, his friendship with Obi-Wan, his honor from the Jedi, and (nearly) his life.
- After losing his limbs and burnt to a crisp by his former master, Vader had to spend the rest of his life in a robotic suit that will have to keep him alive.
- His line in Episode 3 "From my point of view the Jedi are evil" makes sense to his tragic story as:
- Jedi took him from his mother and wouldn't allow him to visit her which ultimately lead him be too late to save her and her painful death.
- They wouldn't allow him to be with woman he loves.
- Treated him like a pawn because they didn't trust him.
- Made him abandon his apprentice when Ahsoka needed them the most. They also refused to admit they were the one who betrayed her.
- Didn't grant him the rank of master, something he spend 13 years of his life to gain which basically led to him believe he wasted his life and they indirectly called him a failure for failing to train his apprentice to become a Jedi Knight when she left the order.
- Sees how the other Jedi disobeyed their code and hypocritically lecturing him of disobeying the Jedi Code when they did.
- The man he considered a brother used his wife to find him and doesn't even hesitate to assassinate him.
- Basically he believed the Jedi have destroyed his life.
- During two moments after his turning into Vader, it's easy to tell that he might be suffering from split-personality (Dissociative Identity Disorder). During those brief moments, Anakin pops out and it's kind of heartbreaking for his past allies to see him turn into who he is now. Those examples include:
- After Ahsoka slashes his mask during her duel with him in Star Wars Rebels
- After his fight with Obi-Wan in the Obi-Wan Kenobi, which also leads to the most heartbreaking line, "I am not your failure, Obi-Wan. You didn’t kill Anakin Skywalker, I did."
- In the prequel trilogy, his relationship with Padmé in the second prequel as a young man feels very forced. At least The Clone Wars series and Revenge of the Sith made their relationship look real, genuine, and cute without it being forced.
- Jake Lloyd (as child Anakin, though understandable), and Hayden Christiansen (in Attack Of The Clones only), did a poor job portraying Anakin (though Christiansen's performance improved in Revenge Of The Sith).
- Despite being born the same year as Grogu (41 years before the events of A New Hope), Grogu has actually outlived him despite Grogu's species taking much more time to become adults than humans like Anakin/Vader.