"...Oh no."-Future Aku’s last words as Jack and Ashi went back to the past to destroy him once and for all.
Aku is the main antagonist of the Cartoon Network series Samurai Jack. Born from The Black Mass of Darkness, Aku was an evil, shape-shifting demon who took over the world and ruled it for countless eons, the arch-nemesis of Samurai Jack and the biological father of Ashi and her twin sisters. Throughout seasons 1-4, Aku was voiced by Mako Iwamatsu, but due to Mako's death in 2006, Aku was voiced by Greg Baldwin in season 5.
Why He's the Master of Darkness
- Aku is one of those "evil because evil" villains done right, as he was created to be evil, not because someone influenced him to be evil, and more interesting, no one created him.
- He is a very entertaining antagonist, as he even shows us his daily life being the ruler of the Earth.
- He has many comedic moments, like his funny impressions of Jack, as well as his sarcastic quotes.
- The episode "The Birth of Evil" was great, as it explains his origin of how he was born and how he comes into conflict with Jack's father.
- His rivalry with Samurai Jack is awesome, as they fight amazingly, like many fights between good guys and bad guys.
- He also has many armies of robots to send after Jack to stop him, and some even almost succeeded, and Aku has also sent dangerous fighters that are not robots to kill Jack.
- Aku is one of the most powerful villains not just from Cartoon Network, but in cartoon history.
- He had one of his Cult of Aku members, one of the women, drink his essence, making her have daughters of Aku, to be strong women to defeat Jack.
- Obviously, Jack defeated everything Aku threw at him, the robots, the real fighters, even killing almost all of his daughters, with the exception of Ashi.
- Aku’s final fight with Jack was the most exciting, as he controlled Ashi using his powers, since they were related by blood, and that he faced all the allies Jack had throughout the years he was in the future.
- The epic quick duel he had with Ashi shows that even bad guys can have a child with a pure heart, even if Aku is pure evil, because Ashi is half-human and was able to learn from Jack.
- Aku, like many legendary villains that are defeated once and for all, faced his destruction when Ashi returned Jack returned to the past, and Jack used his sword to destroy him, and it was a satisfying end for a very memorable villain.
- Makoto Iwamatsu and Greg Baldwin did a great job voicing him.
- Even Aku has slow pacing sometimes, and that can make him sometimes boring for some.
- In Season 5, he seems to have lost a lot of interest in killing Jack and has almost given up on combating him completely. It doesn't help that he's literally began to talk to himself and close himself off from his own followers.
- This gets subverted with a vengeance in "Episode C", when he immediately goes after Jack upon learning the latter lost his sword—the only thing that can kill Aku (although he's ultimately too late to do anything with the info). Then, upon realizing Ashi's his biological daughter, he immediately possesses her and has her fight Jack, forcing the latter to kneel in defeat as Aku takes possession of Jack's sword.
- The line "extra thick" from the episode "Jack vs. Aku", became an internet meme.