Rem (Re: Zero)
"Don't let your kids watch this!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
WARNING! Spoilers ahead!
This article contains spoilers relating to this character and their source material.
Rem is a major character in the 2014 Japanese dark fantasy light novel series Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World, as well as its anime television series and manga adaptations of the same name. She acted as the deuteragonist of the second and third story arcs and was the tritagonist of the whole series until the role was taken by Beatrice. She appears in various other media related to the series, including video games and short stories. Outside of Re:Zero, Rem is also a major character in Isekai Quartet, a 2019 comedy crossover anime television series that featured characters from several properties of the "Isekai" genre.
Why She Rocks
- What makes Rem stands out is her character design. A maid outfit, blue eyes and hair, and cute face.
- Rem is soft-spoken, polite, and very humble.
- She happens to be loyal and protective towards Subaru.
- Rem had her distrust against Subaru because she thinks he was a threat to her family, but after knowing all of this in later timelines, Subaru accepts it and forgives her for all of it understanding why she does it which allows Rem to fall in love with him.
- Even after being rejected by Subaru, she still supports him and Emilia.
- She is a great sister and is even in sync with her twin sister Ram:
- Rem deeply admired and looked up to her and wanted to grow up as strong as her sister.
- What makes her character background saddening is when Rem felt guilty ever since not being able to protect herself back then which lead to Ram losing her horn, and both of their parents being killed, so afterwards, she decides to become good at everything to take her sister's place.
- She has inherited her family's Oni powers, becoming a bloodthirsty demon and is capable killing demon beasts with her bare fists and showed no strain in carrying Subaru.
- Rem wields a Morningstar in combat, as the weapon takes shape of a giant metal spiked ball on long metal chains. Proving she isn't your every day maid.
- Rem may not be one of the strongest characters in the anime, but she has pulled off one of many ways to protect her loved ones.
- Both Inori Minase (Japanese) and Brianna Knickerbocker (English) have captured her soft-spoken nature.
- Rem has plenty of cute moments, especially when she purred like a cat while lying on Subaru's lap.
- In the third arc, her emotional support proves to be essential to motivate Subaru and keep him from running away from Petelgeuse. Subaru himself admits that if he were to lose Rem for good, he would also lose his will to live.
- In the crossover Isekai Quartet, she does get along with Albedo from the Overlord series, since both have one thing in common: being close to the protagonists.
The Only Bad Qualities
- Her first meeting with Subaru hasn't been a great start; as mentioned before, Rem didn't fully trust and knew any better that he was just a normal human being and not part of the cultists.
- She was done dirty at the end of the third arc, where Rem falls into a coma after her memories and name are eaten by the Archbishop of Gluttony, and has her existence erased from everyone except Subaru, putting her out of the story and giving Subaru a new goal.
- Rem has a larger bust size compared to her elder twin sister, Ram.
- She and Ram share the same birthday on February 2nd.
- Rem likes to read in her spare time.
- She normally handles 80% of the workload in the mansion on her own. Subaru is usually paired up with Ram to take care of the rest of it.
- Rem's rapid popularity surprised even the author himself, although he had mentioned that he somewhat anticipated it.
- She can smell the Witch's Scent, something only those who have been in close contact with an Authority user are capable of.
- She is also the first character to profess her feelings towards Subaru.