Nepeta Leijon (also known by her Trollian handle, arsenicCatnip), otherwise referred to as Nepeta, is a major character and one of the twelve Beta Trolls, and her Zodiac sign is Leo, the 5th sign represented by a lion/lioness and she has horns shaped like cat ears.
She is Aradia's server player and one of the few to know she is a ghost. Nepeta is seen with EquiusHS.svg in the Land of Little Cubes and Tea (LOLCAT) and does not get much exposure to her session. After the battle with the Black King, the trolls made it to their Ultimate Reward before being suddenly interrupted by Jack
Her quirk consists of preceding every line with ":33 <. :3", which is generally used as a smiley reminiscent of a cat face, while 33 is the atomic number of arsenic (as in her handle). She is most likely associated with arsenic because it is used as rat poison, because of the stereotype that cats don't like rats. It can also be used as green wall paint, and it is linked with cancer which could be a reference to her crush on Karkat.
Being the "cutest kitty on this side of the galaxy". In SBURB, Nepeta was given the title Rogue of Heart, and although she hasn't quite unlocked her powers, the role fits her mischievous but caring nature.
:33 < Why She Rocks SO HARD!!! (Pun intended)
- She gets along very well with both of her crushes, Karkat Vantas and Equius Zahhak.
- She is very cheerful, caring, carefree, mischievous, and obsessed with romance. Being as cute as the felines she loves, Nepeta genuinely sees herself as a playful cat who just wants everyone to join in on her fun. But don't let her unassuming appearance fool you. For all her kindness and cuteness, Nepeta is an accomplished huntress, being perfectly capable of bringing down the fiercest of beasts with her bare hands.
- She is really adorable, at least that's what people think of her, including Andrew Hussie himself.
- She likes being around other trolls who have a temperament of being friendly, kind, and cute rather than being around trolls that are cruel, mean-spirited, toxic, or unlikable, like Gamzee for example.
- She really has a undoubtedly cute fixation on roleplaying and cats (Except for bloody Vriska since she scares her that much apparently). She especially likes partaking in her unconventional hobbies with her friends as well, people like Equius Zahhak are a good example.
- As much as she doesn't really like Eridan Ampora too much, she kinda has a thing for Feferi Peixes.
- She provided several cute one-liners and banters, these include ":33 < you pretend to be so high and mighty. but i know you're not and i know you like games!".
- Nepeta is unique in that she’s accepted the different parts of her personality–the cute and the badass, the adorable and the bloodthirsty–as who she was. She knows that it’s okay to be both, that it’s okay to not fit into one category, thus displaying a pearl of wisdom beyond her years.
- Despite Karkat’s obnoxious “autistic girl in a cave” comment and Equius’s insistence that she doesn’t know what’s best for her, Nepeta is intelligent as she knows how to take care of herself and has little trouble with the game. But she also knows how to take care of others as well. Nepeta is very empathetic and fixated on the emotions and desires of her friends, which she always puts above her own. Upon Aradiabot’s explosion, although Nepeta had just woken up after having her dream-self stabbed by Jack and watching Derse burn, instead of pitying herself or demanding attention, she immediately turns to comfort Equius instead. (Equius describes it afterwards: “We e%amined my emotional state until we were both b100 in the face.”). Nepeta is able to analyze her own feelings and always considers how her actions will affect other people before she thinks of herself. Sadly, this lack of self-interest is what led to her death, since she didn’t consider the possible fatal consequences of sneaking out of her hiding place.
- Nepeta may be an avid shipper of her friends, but she never pushes anyone into a relationship. She understands that some ships sink, no matter how much she might want them to sail, and respects the feelings of others involved. “its just not that simple,” she tells Jaspersprite and then she says “i could make someone else jealous i think, and what if he doesnt f33l the same way, and, urrgh, its so complic-kated”.
- Despite being viewed as "cute", depending on how you think about it, her traits and lifestyle are either morbid or badass, which, according to human thought, are the opposite of adorable.
- For Nepeta, it’s not a dichotomy. She can be both. She can use cat emoticons and cat puns in her texts and razor-sharp claws on her wrists. She also can search for the Fountain of Cute and kill big animals with her bare hands along the way. She can doodle tales of romance on the walls using blood from a beast she’s just slain. In her roleplay games, she can lick the blood off her paws with one mouth and use the other to blow her dragon friend a kiss.
:33 < Bad Qualities
- Alongside Equius Zahhak, Eridan Ampora, and Feferi Peixes, she was killed off by Gamzee Makara.
- Despite her being sympathetic and likable, some people may find her cat puns and way of typing irritating or grating at times.
:33 < Trivia
- She grew up on Alternia, a planet with several distinct differences from Earth. First of which is Nepeta's species: she's a troll, a humanoid species that are divided into classes according to blood color. A green-blood, Nepeta is in the middle of the hierarchy, but such distinctions don’t mean much to her. As she understands it, ":33 < what does gr33n blood even mean! it doesn't mean anything to me and it shouldn't mean anything to anyone else!".
- She lives on a meteor after a video game session goes drastically wrong. After playing SBURB, Alternia was destroyed, leaving Nepeta and her co-players as the only trolls alive. Now their only hope seems to be the strange planet they're hurtling towards Earth.
- While she uses the ":3" emoticon sometimes, it ends up as the number 33 due to that being her iconic quirk with typing.
- In her typing quirk, 33 is the atomic number of arsenic on the periodic table, which is also used as rat poison as.
- Ironically since she is a feline-oriented troll, and arsenic is used for rat poison, the stereotype of "cats hate rats" is subverted.
- Nepeta roleplays as a two-mouthed, anthropomorphic feline (similar to Jade's fascination with furry fandom). Her feline hunting roleplays are linked to her real-life routine.
- Dressing in cat-themed clothing and preceding all her texts with the emoticon “:33,” Nepeta tries to incorporate her love of felines into every aspect of her life. She's also an avid romantic, mapping her friends' tangled relationships on a wall, which she updates religiously.
- She replaces syllables of words with feline-related homophones, such as purrmissionHS.svg, refurringHS.svg or pawsesHS.svg rather than "permission," "referring" and "pauses", respectively. Instances of double e's in a word, such as "sleepy", are replaced by double 3's (producing sl33py HS.svg), but she otherwise does not use letter substitution. She often describes actions in the third person surrounded by asterisks, a result of her constant roleplaying with other trolls.
- Nepeta's name was suggested by Music Team member Tenebrais. Her first name is derived from the scientific genus of catnip and its active ingredient, and Leijon is taken from the surname of Anna-Greta Leijon, who was a Swedish Minister of Immigration in 1976 and the victim of a kidnapping plot dubbed Operation Leo.
- Homestuck characters
- 2010s characters
- Book characters
- Comic Book characters
- Badass characters
- Optimistic characters
- Intelligent characters
- Quirky characters
- Friendly characters
- Characters with good edge
- Morally grey characters
- Deceased characters
- Cute characters
- Likable characters