"Don't let your kids watch this!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Gratuity violence.
WARNING! Spoilers ahead!
This article contains spoilers relating to this character and their source material.
Levi Ackerman (リヴァイ・アッカーマン Rivai Akkāman), often formally referred to as Captain Levi (リヴァイ兵長 Rivai Heichō), is one of the main characters of the horror manga/anime Attack on Titan, and the main protagonist of the No Regrets prequel. He is the squad captain (兵士長 Heishichō, lit. "leader of the soldiers") of the Special Operations Squad within the Survey Corps and is widely known as humanity's strongest soldier.
Why He's Humanity's Strongest Soldier
- Levi is one of the Survey Corps' strongest soldiers. Even if the Titans do try to terrorize him, Levi cuts them apart as if it were nothing.
- It was also shown that he's managed to kill his ex-teammates that were titanized by Zeke, since Levi was already used to it.
- He is anime's answer to Batman. Both are brooding, badass, and really skilled with gadgets and weapons. The difference being is Batman doesn't kill unless he had a reason, or was forced to.
- Levi's sword skills and the ability to spin in the air, landing on the Titans' napes like a saw blade makes him a dangerous opponent.
- Much like the current Eren Yeager, he shows no mercy nor sympathy for his enemies. Especially with his grudge against Zeke, since he's the one who's killed Erwin, and Levi has spent building up his anger and rage towards Zeke.
- Sometimes, his actions became internet memes:
- Since Levi is a clean freak, he'll do anything to clean whatever is dirty.
- His infamous scene of him beating Eren in court.
- Both Hiroshi Kamiya (who voiced Yuzuru Otonashi from Angel Beats!, Yato from Noragami, Izaya Orihara from Durarara!!! and Shinji Matou from the Fate series) and Matthew Mercer (Jotaro Kujo from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Aiden from Minecraft: Story Mode, Yusuke Kitagawa from Persona 5, and Cree from Overwatch) did a great performance.
- Levi is very well-designed.
- He shows respect to his superior commander Erwin Smith, as well as his juniors, as Eren, Mikasa and Armin.
- There are times that he is annoyed by Hanji's hyperactive behavior, Levi shares a strong bond, and really cares about her.
- Even after being severely injured by Zeke, losing his two fingers on his right hand and his right eye, Levi can still fight like he always do, just not properly as he used to.
- His send-off was emotional; after all the Titans in existence disappeared from thin air, Levi saw a vision of his fallen comrades (Erwin, Hanji, Petra, and the deceased Survey Corps members) while saluting them in honor and memory, and shedding a tear.
- Three years later, Levi has now retired from the Survey Corps.
- "Zip it Four-Eyes."
- "Alright kiddos, now pay attention."
- "Impressive. You brats managed to grow tall just to spite me."
- "I really hate... THAT FUCKING BEAST TITAN!"
- "You've somehow gotten uglier, you bearded shithead."
- He suddenly made the choice to escape with Mikasa and Falco, while leaving Connie, Jean, Gabi, and the families at Marley behind as they become infected, and turn into Titans.
- Due to his height, it's highly likely that his malnutrition at childhood caused him to be shorter than his juniors.
- Levi was so short that a carnival clown mistook him as a small child.
- Much like Annie, he's very sensitive about his stature.
- For some reason, he wasn't in the live-action film adaptation of Attack on Titan.
- According to Hajime Isayama, Levi was accidentally created when he was first drawing Eren.
- Levi has ranked first place in the First and Second Character Popularity Polls.
- Levi ranked second in the Third Character Popularity Poll, being surpassed in votes by Erwin Smith.
- He is attributed with the title of squad captain (兵士長 Heishichō?) among the Survey Corps. However, his comrades and subordinates usually call him by the shortened title of "captain" (兵長 Heichō?), though the literal translation of this rank is "Lance Corporal". This has led to the wrong idea that he is actually a Lance Corporal, a somewhat low rank.
- His name is Hebrew in origin, and means "attached" or "joining".
- His name was inspired by a person from the American documentary Jesus Camp.
- Levi's age is one of several mysteries Isayama has hinted about in interviews. He once stated that Levi is "surprisingly old," but declined to give an exact answer beyond stating that he is "older than 30". In February 2016 he was interviewed again at the Attack on Titan "The Real" theme park, and when questioned about Levi's age responded that he is in his "late thirties". However, Marina Inoue (Armin Arlert's voice actress) later rectified and said Isayama made a mistake due to nervousness, and had asked her to correct that Levi is actually in his "early thirties". This was further confirmed in the Attack on Titan ANSWERS guidebook.
- While Levi is liquor tolerant, he mostly prefers tea over wine.
- Due to the Ackerman bloodline, he and Mikasa are immune to Zeke's spinal fluid.