Boyfriend (Friday Night Funkin')
Boyfriend is the protagonist of Friday Night Funkin'. He is on a mission to gain approval to date his Girlfriend, but must sing off against her evil ex-rockstar father, Daddy Dearest, as well as the many other characters that stand in his way.
Why He Funkin' Rocks
- He is likable protagonist due to his dedication to winning his girlfriend by rivalry with singing.
- He's a skilled and talented rapper.
- Like most characters, his animation and design is very unique and very nice.
- He's fearless most of the time (Well, unless there's lightning).
- During Week 6, he defeats Senpai, who's programmed to be an godly hero, not once, but twice.
- He will always maintain the same cocky expression no matter the situation or who he is up against. Even if some of his opponents are actually trying to kill him or Girlfriend, he will continue to sing as if nothing was out of the ordinary.
- He usually goes up against characters that explicitly want to harm him, like that guy hired to kill him, the demon lady on a stretch limo, a lemon headed monster, a spirit trapped in a game clearly intent on taking over his body for revenge on someone, and an army of gunmen with clear intent to shoot him and his girlfriend, and he sings along without a care in the world.
- Despite his small stature, Boyfriend is actually capable of carrying Girlfriend (who is slightly taller than him) during a rap battle and even with only one hand.
- The Game Over screen is quite amusingly realized as it shows a his skeleton with two blue testicles, and a brain with the "Retry" inscription .
- Despite loving Girlfriend and showing a foolishly fearless if heroic side, he doesn't really have any other personality. However, the web-series did him more personality. (See WHR#8 for more detail).
- While he's genuinely in love with Girlfriend and is willing to risk his life for her, but if the blue balls he gets from failing a song and key lines from "Fresh (Boyfriend Remix)" are any indication. He also really wants to get in her pants.
- He just wants to spend time with his Girlfriend, but he can't help getting into some weird situation or meet some strange character that wants to rap battle him every week.
- He is implied to be rather shallow and self centered, as he spent his time in college reading comics in the library instead of showing up to classes before dropping out despite the fact that his parents were willing to pay good money for his education.
- He is an edgier riff on Parappa The Rapper, being a young, up-and-coming rapper who wants to prove himself worthy for his love-interest.
- Boyfriend is canonically so reckless and overconfident that he's essentially fearless.
- PhantomArcade also clarifies that, just like Girlfriend, Boyfriend is far too dumb to be afraid of many things.
- It's fandom and The Funkipedia has described him and Girlfriend as "morons who are too dumb to realize what kind of danger they are [in]", explaining why he rarely runs away from potentially dangerous opponents (and it might also explain how he ended up dropping out of college).
- However, like Girlfriend, Boyfriend appears to be afraid of lightning, as shown in Week 2. Whenever lightning strikes, Boyfriend will briefly wince and shudder.
- ninjamuffin99, PhantomArcade and Kawai Sprite have all stated that Boyfriend's name is simply Boyfriend.
- Boyfriend is his only canonical and official name. However, ninjamuffin99 has intentionally confused the community by spouting out random names on his Twitter and TikTok accounts.
- Additionally, there are currently two opening lines in the intro sequence that de-confirms two names: "His name isn't Evan, silly TikTok" and "His name isn't Keith, dumb eggy lol."
- ninjamuffin99 has made a TikTok pleading with people to stop calling him Keith, saying, "His name, his name isn't Keith, it's not Keith. I'm, I'm sick of seeing everyone calling him Keith." He has also confirmed his name to simply be Boyfriend on Reddit. The lyrics "boil 'lil boyfriend," in Winter Horrorland also refer to Boyfriend by name.
- Boyfriend originally had hot pink hair instead of cyan blue, revealed in early concept sketches of Boyfriend released by PhantomArcade.
- His shoe laces were originally blue instead of white.
- Boyfriend has the most unused animations in the game.
- Boyfriend makes a cameo appearance in Sr Pelo's animation "Spooky Month - Unwanted Guest" as a background plushie. The "Spooky Month" series is also where the characters Skid and Pump originate from.
- Boyfriend knows a lot of fingerboard tricks, and it's one of the reasons he won Girlfriend's heart.
- Boyfriend's favorite Newgrounds game is Newgrounds Rumble.
- Boyfriend's hair is not dyed and is naturally cyan.
- One of Tankman's Game Over quotes questions (and mocks) the nature of his hair color, stating, "I guess your shitty blue hair dye got in your eyes. It's okay, it happens to all of us."